The way humans live has negatively impacted our Earth's climate. The choices we make cause rivers to dry, ice bergs to melt, oceans to lose their marine life and polluted air. If we truly want to make a change and have a positive impact on the planet, we must learn to make better and more sustainable choices. Check out our list of five shocking facts about sustainability.
Here Are 5 Shocking Facts About Sustainability:
1. 500,000 trees are cut down to produce the Sunday newspaper each week. If you were to recycle your copy after finishing with it, you alone could save 75,000 trees. Also, if we all recycled our newspapers, we could save about 250,000,000 trees each year!
2. Environmental sustainability facts show that there is enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the earth four times. That is a lot of garbage circling our planet!
3. Plastics make up most of the litter collected during international coastal cleanups. The plastics they mostly find include plastic water bottles, bottle caps, food wrappers, plastic lids, straws and takeaway containers.
4. Sustainability facts show that a tap leaking just one drip per second wastes more than 12,000L of water a year. Make sure to completely turn off the sink after running water!
5. Americans use over 80 billion aluminum soda cans every year. If we recycle one soda can, we can save enough energy to power a TV for 3 hours.